Pea pesto is one of my favorite ‘go to’ recipes when I’m feeling uninspired, lacking any fresh stuff in the fridge or just fancy a bit of easy comfort food. I even like to mix it up by substituting the parmesan for goats cheese, serving it mixed in with a risotto or on a baguette. Anything goes… I made a batch today and gave Rory a try. He couldn’t get enough of it! Here’s the recipe…
- 375g spaghetti
- 250g frozen garden peas
- 100g watercress/ pea shoots
- a handful of pine nuts
- a good handful of fresh mint leaves
- 3 tbsp grated parmigiano reggiano
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- Cook the spaghetti in a pan of boiling water, according to packet instructions, adding half the peas to the pan 3 minutes before the end.
- Meanwhile, blitz together the rest of the peas, watercress, parmigiano reggiano, olive oil, pine nuts, mint leaves and garlic in a food processor, until finely chopped and combined. Season to taste (I like a lot of salt).
- Drain the pasta, then stir through the pesto mixture. Serve with extra grated parmigiano reggiano if liked.